This Halloween, Attorney General Todd Rokita is partnering with the longest-running TV Horror Host in the World, Sammy Terry, to treat Hoosiers with more than candy.
“Returning unclaimed property to hardworking Hoosiers is an important part of our mission,” Attorney General Rokita said. “That’s why I’m proud to have Indiana icons like Sammy Terry reminding Hoosiers on this ghoulish holiday to search indianaunclaimed.gov and put more treats than tricks in their wallets this year.”
In 2021, Attorney General Rokita’s Office returned over $50 million in unclaimed property to their rightful owners. This year alone, the Office has returned over $48 million. Recovering your unclaimed property is safe, secure, and simple. Search for your name at the IndianaUnclaimed.gov database — which, by the way, includes Hoosiers with spooktacular names such as Halloween, Spooky, Witch, and Coffin.
It’s time to boogie and follow these tips to keep track of your assets:
- Keep a record of all bank accounts.
- Indicate your interest in and awareness of all accounts by contacting the holder at least once every three years.
- Record all stock certificates and be sure to cash all dividends received.
- Record all utility deposits, including telephone, cable, and electricity deposits.
- Cash all checks promptly — no matter how small.
- Update your address with all businesses when you move.
- Talk to loved ones about any safe deposit boxes you own.
Attorney General Rokita’s Office works tirelessly to locate the rightful owners or heirs of unclaimed property. We are thankful to Sammy Terry for helping in those efforts this year.
Individuals and/or businesses have 25 years to claim money once it is reported to the Unclaimed Property Division. Over $700 million remains to be claimed, so it’s time to lift your spirits and find what you may be missing at IndianaUnclaimed.gov or text SAMMY to 46220 to search your name, family, or business.
You can also contact the Unclaimed Property Division at 1-866-462-5246 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also like and/or follow the Unclaimed Property Division on Facebook. Make sure you keep an eye out for Sammy Terry’s reminders today. Even he knows it’s wise to search for unclaimed property.
Halloween is going to be great—we can feel it in our bones!