University of Southern Indiana Baseball concludes its five-game homestand Tuesday evening by hosting Kentucky Wesleyan College for a 6 p.m. first pitch at the USI Baseball Field. The Screaming Eagles (11-11) are a perfect 4-0 during the homestand, have won seven-straight games, and are looking to get over the .500 mark overall for first time since February.
Following Tuesday’s game with KWC, USI starts a five-game road swing this weekend. The Eagles visit McKendree University April 9-11 for a GLVC four-game series before finishing the road swing at KWC April 13 for an afternoon contest. The schedule at McKendree is set for a 2 p.m. single game Friday; a noon doubleheader Saturday; and a noon single game Sunday.
USI, currently, is fourth in the GLVC Blue Division with its 9-7 conference record, one game behind third-place Lewis University (10-6 GLVC). Junior third baseman Michael Conner leads USI with a .366 batting average and 19 RBIs, while senior outfielder Manny Lopez has belted a team-high four home runs.
During the seven-game winning streak, senior outfielder Bryce Krizan is batting a team-best .526 (10-19) and six stolen bases. Krizan set the USI all-time record for stolen bases (87) versus the University of Missouri-St. Louis Sunday.
Conner and second baseman Ethan Hunter lead the squad with nine RBIs in the last seven games.
The Panthers of KWC (11-3) are on a roll, coming to USI with an eight-game winning streak. KWC also has won 10 of its last 12 games.
The Eagles hold a 98-66 overall series lead over the Panthers, but KWC took both games in the series in 2019, winning 12-7 in Owensboro and 9-4 at the USI Baseball Field. USI has won 11 of the last 14 meetings since 2012.
McKendree (10-10, 3-9 GLVC) will welcome the Eagles to Lebanon, Illinois, looking to break a four-game losing streak after dropping the series to Lewis University last weekend. The Bearcats also have lost four of the last six games leading up to the series.
USI leads the all-time series with McKendree, 30-13, after sweeping the three-game series from the Bearcats in 2019. The Eagles also have won 12 of the last 13 match-ups with the Bearcats.
For Tuesday’s game versus KWC, USI implemented a spectator policy in 2021at the USI Baseball Field due to COVID-19. For the safety and well-being of the players, coaches, and officials, the following guidelines have set in place:
- Attendance has been increased to four pre-approved guests per USI student-athlete.
- USI student attendance will be allowed and limited to the first 70.
- Dugout Club and baseball sponsor attendance will be allowed and limited to 70.
- Masks/face coverings for entry into the facility and must be worn at all times.
- Social distancing must be observed at all times.
- Visiting team fans are still prohibited at this time.
For the weekend road series, McKendree has the following fan policy:
- Spectators will be allowed. Masking and social distancing guidelines will be enforced. There is no set capacity and admission will not be charged.
- Capacity will be continuously monitored with social distancing considerations taken into account.
- Fans are highly encouraged to bring folding chairs and distance throughout the outfield and foul territory. Bleacher seating will be very limited.
Fans also can catch all of the game coverage for the 2021, including live stats, video stream, and audio broadcasts, on GoUSIEagles.com. Selected games also can be heard on ESPN 97.7FM and 95.7FM The Spin.
Fans can watch free of charge on the GLVC Sports Network (GLVCSN), which is available both on your desktop, mobile/tablet devices, as well as four over-the-top (OTT) platforms (Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV and Apple TV). GLVCSN.com is the official website of the GLVC Sports Network, while the GLVCSN mobile app is available for iOS in the App Store and Android on Google Play. More information can be found at GLVCSN FAQs.
All broadcasts on GLVCSN are subject to weather or other unforeseen circumstances that could prevent the games from being broadcast.