Vanderburgh County – Early this morning at approximately 12:15, Trooper Widner was patrolling I-64 west of US 41 when he observed the driver of a Chevrolet Suburban following another vehicle too closely. Widner conducted a traffic stop after the vehicle exited I-64 onto US 41. The driver was identified as Nicole Pettit, 30, of Rockport.
A male passenger was identified as Lee Aders, 30, of Richland. Due to suspicious activity a search of the vehicle was conducted. Trooper Widner found a bag under Ader’s seat containing 18 grams of marijuana and small amounts of meth and cocaine. When searching Pettit’s purse a fully loaded handgun was located.
Another loaded handgun was found between the console and front passenger seat. Aders was arrested and taken to the Vanderburgh County Jail where he is currently being held without bond. Pettit was cited for possession of a handgun without a permit and released. Both weapons and illegal drugs were seized.
Arrested and Charges:
- Lee Aders, 30, Richland, IN
- Possession of Methamphetamine, Level 6 Felony
- Possession of Cocaine, Level 6 Felony
- Possession of Marijuana, Class B Misdemeanor
- Possession of Firearm by Serious Violent Felon, Level 4 Felony
- Cited and Released:
- Nicole Pettit, 30, Rockport, IN
- Possession of a Handgun without a Permit, Class A Misdemeanor
Arresting Officer: Trooper Tyler Widner, Indiana State Police
Assisting Officer: Trooper Chase Eaton, Indiana State Police
FOOTNOTE: All criminal defendants are to be presumed innocent until, and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.