Santa Visits Siegel’s, Inc.
BY PAT SIDES
In December of 1937, Santa Claus paid a visit to Siegel’s clothing store, where he is seen here inspecting several shirts. The clerk behind the sales counter is probably Manuel or Meyer Siegel, who earlier in the decade took over the business that their father had opened in 1897.
Located at Fourth and Locust streets, Siegel’s sold quality men’s and boy’s clothing for decades, but after 1988, its merchandise was limited to only uniforms for police officers and other emergency personnel. The business remained family-owned until 2006 but continued to operate at the same site until 2016, when the building at 101 SE Fourth Street was sold.
In 1997, the Indiana Department of Commerce recognized Siegel’s as one of only eighteen Indiana firms that had operated continuously for over a century. It is still in business on the city’s east side.