EVSC Sets Dates for Immunization Compliance


The Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation has set deadlines by which all students must show proof of Indiana State Law required immunizations for school attendance, or approved waivers. While most elementary schools in the EVSC have nearly 100% compliance, middle and high schools have not fared as well.

New immunization requirements were announced last spring for all students in 6th-12th grades in the State of Indiana. At that time, the EVSC in conjunction with the Vanderburgh County Health Department, offered free immunization clinics in most of the schools; sent home information regarding the new requirements; sent out Connect-ED family notification messages to parents regarding the requirements; as well as information about upcoming summer clinics. Letters and phone messages have been sent out by schools this fall, as well.
Still, a large number of students do not have up-to-date records that have been turned in to their school nurses.

The EVSC has set the dates below by which students need to have their immunization documents turned in to the school nurse or they may not attend school until in compliance. Connect-ED messages will be sent to students beginning in October, who show any deficits in current immunization reports.

Deadlines for compliance are:

All Middle Schools: October 18

Bosse High School: October 25
Central High School: Nov. 1
Reitz High School: Nov. 8
North High School: Nov. 15
Harrison High School: Nov. 22

The Vanderburgh County Health Department has arranged for special extended free clinic times on Tuesdays beginning Oct. 5 (Oct. 5, 12, 19, 26, Nov. 9, Nov. 16) from 1-7 p.m. at their offices, 420 Mulberry Street. This will be offered in addition to their free walk-in clinics Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Children must be accompanied by or have written permission from a parent / legal guardian and must bring a complete shot record showing all immunizations received since birth, which can be received from the child’s health care provider and the school nurse. For more information, go to http://www.vanderburghgov.org/Index.aspx?page=2287