This imposing building stood at the corner of Sixth and Main streets for nine decades. In its earlier years, it housed Bacon’s department store until 1936, the year this photo is dated. Later that year, the F. W. Woolworth Company, Bacon’s neighbor, moved into the more spacious quarters, where it stayed until 1990.
The building was erected in 1901 on the ruins of a store that had been destroyed by fire. Another fire in 1972 slightly damaged the building, but Woolworth’s re-opened on the site, operating until a major conflagration in 1990 inflicted heavier damage.
The ruins were finally razed two years later, around the time the once-popular old Woolworth chain decided to shut down across the nation. The site is now occupied by a new science center serving Signature School students.