SALMS CLOTHING STORE
The northeast corner of Fourth and Main was home to the locally-owned Salm’s clothing store, which was still thriving when this photo was taken in the 1950s.
A few months after the retailer’s president died in 1967, the family announced that the business would be liquidated after a decades-long run downtown. Founded by brothers Isaac and Samuel Salm, the store opened in 1907 and relocated to 400 Main in 1934.
The prominent five-story building was razed in late 1971, along with others that fell victim to urban renewal and the relocation of Old National Bank at the other end of the block. Since that time, the old Salm’s site has been vacant, functioning as a park and playground in the midst of a changing downtown landscape.