Following a national trend, several “moving picture houses” opened in Evansville in the early twentieth century. The largest, such as the Victory Theater at Sixth and Main, were concentrated in the downtown district, but for the convenience of movie fans who lived in more remote neighborhoods, smaller theaters operated around the city; these included the Alhambra, Rosedale, Franklin, Columbia, Washington, Ross and others. This image shows the Woodlawn Theater at 1011 N. Main Street, which was built in the early 1920s. It featured cowboy and other popular films. The Woodlawn closed in 1957 and was razed in 1963. Today a gas station sits on the site of the old theater.