When William P. Walsh built his baking company at 400 North Main Street in 1910, Evansville’s city directory listed thirty bakers and five wholesale bakeries that served a population of about 86,000. The business was prosperous from the start, as the numerous horse-drawn delivery vehicles indicate. Saso Bread was the company’s chief product, and a local newspaper reported that the demand for it had “grown phenomenally,” necessitating an addition to the factory shortly after it opened. In that decade, Walsh baked about 18,000 loaves of bread a day. Despite its early success, the company succumbed to the Great Depression in the 1930s, when many businesses closed; the building was razed in 2002 to make way for Turoni’s parking lot.