Indiana is known for unpredictable weather, and that is especially true as the seasons change. Spring and summer months can bring extreme and dangerous weather conditions.
- Understand extreme weather hazards: Check the weather forecast regularly to better anticipate severe storms.
- Create a home inventory: A free app is available for iPhone and Android to make managing your personal inventory easy and aid in the claims process.
- Collect your insurance information: Review your insurance policies and make sure you know what is and isn’t covered.
- Prepare for the worst: Take necessary precautions like clearing your yard of debris, latching doors, securing shutters and creating evacuation plans for your family.
- Report insurance claims as soon as possible: Following a natural disaster, contact your insurer with relevant information and take photos and videos of damage before starting clean-up.
- Protect yourself from fraud: Home repair fraud is common after natural disasters, so be diligent when looking for contractors.