The Farmer’s Daughter restaurant is wedged between National City Bank and the Vendome Hotel in this image of Third Street near Main.
The photo was probably taken soon after the restaurant began operating in 1962. Around that time the façade of the historic building was stuccoed, which covered windows and other features it had displayed since the building opened as the Washington Hotel in 1855.
The eatery’s “down on the farm cookin’” was an instant hit, and before its long run ended thirty years later, the Farmer’s Daughter established other locations on Green River Road, Highway 41 South, and near First Avenue and Mill Road.
After a recent extensive renovation, the Main street building now houses another restaurant.