The Evansville Store opened its doors to eager shoppers on November 6, 1952, just in time for the holiday shopping season. Located at 318 Main Street, the new store (seen here under construction) occupied part of a block that had been devastated by a major fire in January 1951.
The spacious building contained six floors of merchandise that included clothing, household appliances, furniture, toys, a beauty parlor, and a restaurant. It also featured an escalator, “the only moving stairway in Evansville.” The store closed in 1977, but a branch in the Lawndale Shopping Center operated for a few more years. The Main Street building is now home to Innovation Pointe.