Old City Hall and Police Department By Pat Sides
This view shows Third Street near its intersection with Walnut Street, looking northwest towards downtown, in the 1950s. The center building with a clock tower is City Hall, which was located across the street from the Evansville Police Department (right).
Built in 1887, City Hall sported an even taller tower before much of it was removed in the 1920s. The police station was dedicated in 1917, one of the many civic projects undertaken by Mayor Benjamin Bosse to modernize the city, as well as the police department.
The mid-century urban renewal movement wrought many architectural changes downtown; when the Civic Center opened in the late 1960s, the Third Street buildings were vacated in 1969 and razed two years later.