Vectren is joining other utilities, advocates and government agencies in recognizing the third annual, nationwide Energy Efficiency Day by reminding customers of ways to save energy.
“Helping our customers understand the ways they can decrease energy usage is a top priority,” said Brad Ellsworth, president of Vectren Energy Delivery of Indiana-South. “Not only on Energy Efficiency Day, but throughout the year, we are committed to working with our customers to conserve energy and save money.”
Join the thousands of people and businesses across the U.S. taking action to save energy and money by following these energy efficiency tips:
- Make the switch to LED bulbs, which last at least 25 times longer and consume up to 90 percent less electricity than incandescent bulbs. Vectren provides instant discounts at participating retailers.
- Look for the ENERGY STAR® label when purchasing new appliances – you will be confident you’ve purchased an appliance that meets the highest of efficiency standards.
- Regularly clean and/or replace your air conditioner filter to help your unit run at full efficiency and supply better air flow.
- Have your furnace maintained annually by a qualified technician and check your air filter monthly. Having a professional inspection of your heating system on a regular basis will help lower your heating bills 3 to 10% as well as maximize the life of your furnace.
- Keep your central air conditioning unit running more efficiently by adding an air purifier to your home. Air purifiers remove dust and small particles from the air before it is returned to the air conditioning system and Vectren offers a $25 rebate to help cover the cost
- Reduce energy costs and increase comfort with a smart thermostat. A smart thermostat can maximize your energy savings without the hassle of manually adjusting your thermostat. Rebates up to $75 can help offset the cost.
- Caulk and weather strip around windows and doors to keep the warm air from escaping. These two simple air sealing techniques pay for themselves in energy savings within one year.
Customers should also take advantage of Vectren’s online energy tools to pinpoint ways to save energy in the home by using actual data from energy bills. The free resources include an online energy assessment, customized tips based on the size of the home and usage, and a comparison tool to show how an individual’s usage might compare to similar homes. To use the online energy tools, customers must log in to their Vectren.com account. For more information on Vectren’s energy efficiency programs, visit www.vectren.com/saveenergy.
To learn more about Energy Efficiency Day, visit www.energyefficiencyday.org.