In 1937, a committee of state and local officials recommended the construction of a vocational school in Evansville because of the shortage of skilled workers for manufacturing jobs. The building was designed to resemble a factory, which was thought would make students more easily adjust to working in such an environment.
This image shows the school as it nears completion; over a hundred boys from Bosse, Central, and Reitz high schools transferred to Mechanic Arts when it opened early in 1939. The skills they learned were soon put to use in the scores of local industries that produced military goods in the Second World War. In 1956, the school was renamed North High School.