Thanksgiving week in 1950 ushered in temperatures that dipped below zero, but that did not deter early Christmas shoppers from venturing downtown. Libs Candies opened its first store that week, just in time for the holiday rush, offering customers a selection of fine chocolates and other flavorsome treats. The firm soon opened another store at 122 NW Fourth Street (seen here), and in 1959, the original store relocated to Sixth and Main, where it remained for decades. Robert Libs, an Owensboro native who learned the art of candy-making in California, founded the business and was soon joined by his brother John. The firm also expanded into North Park and Henderson, Kentucky, eventually making its candies available in numerous Tri-State outlets.