In 1953, Joe Larvo opened his first restaurant after serving as chief steward and manager of the Evansville Country Club for several years. It was located on SE First Street until January 1960, when a fire temporarily forced him out of business. Larvo, a former bricklayer and dishwasher from Chicago, quickly revived his restaurant at 15 Main Street (pictured here), bragging that “courtesy and consideration” were the cornerstone of his success.
Downtown urban renewal forced the business to move, and after 1969, the restaurant operated in the old Three Coins restaurant on First Avenue near Columbia Street. Larvo retired eight years later.