This view of the Igleheart Brothers plant is dated August 1951, soon after the massive grain storage elevators in the center of the photo were built. The business evolved from a modest flour mill the Igleheart family opened in downtown at Fifth and Locust streets in 1856.
In 1904, the mill relocated to 1600 First Avenue, where it manufactured the successful Swans Down brand of cake flour. Igleheart Brothers merged with General foods in 1926, a partnership that produced the first instant cake mix by the mid-1950s.
The new grain storage elevators significantly enlarged the company’s storage capacity, making Evansville one of the nation’s major grain receiving centers. The large plant is now gone, but the elevators still stand.