A crowd gathered in front of the remains of a devastating fire at Haynie’s Corner, which broke out early in the morning of March 26, 1944, across the street from the Alhambra Theater. Newspaper delivery boys discovered the fire and alerted the building’s residents shortly before an explosion was heard in the basement. At the time of the fire, Woods Drug Store No. 9 occupied the ground level and basement, and the upper floors were divided into several apartments. Considered a landmark and neighborhood gathering place, the three-story structure, built in 1895 by George W. Haynie, was reduced to rubble only seven years after extensive renovation following the flood of 1937.