Fulton Avenue of Yesteryear
This view of Fulton Avenue, dated 1919, looks north towards West Franklin Street. Most of the buildings pictured are now gone, and the traffic is very light, but today it is one of Evansville’s busiest intersections.
Throughout its history, the street has been a mix of residential and commercial buildings. Lamasco Bank (far left) still stands, but Louis Wolfgang’s drug store across the street is long gone. The tall building visible just beyond the drug store is Fulton School. Constructed in 1870-1871, it was the first city school to be located outside of downtown Evansville, serving the West Side until it closed and was razed in 1973.
Note the brick streets, as well as the streetcar tracks that curve west onto Franklin Street.