February 1938 brought the announcement that construction on a new National Guard Armory would begin in Evansville. Progress is evident in this view, as the imposing brick and concrete structure on Rotherwood Avenue neared completion.
The facility, formally dedicated on December 30, 1938, boasted a seating capacity of 7,000, the largest in the city at that time. The Armory’s chief function was to provide a home for National Guard units, but the building’s large drill hall and stage made it possible to host basketball games and a variety of other community activities.
In 1998, the University of Evansville acquired the old armory after new National Guard headquarters were built.