The tall building in the center has been a landmark since it opened as Citizens Bank in early 1916. The prominent structure was Evansville’s first skyscraper, and its construction reflected the city’s affluence and rapid development during the early decades of the century.
The photo was taken in 1951, soon after a devastating fire destroyed the businesses across the street; the small building at the far right, also damaged in the fire, is undergoing renovation.
At the left is the Kresge store, which opened in 1948, and behind the bank, the water tower of the large Shear’s department store is visible. Through the years, the former Citizens Bank building has also been known as the Southern Securities Building and the Hilliard Lyons building.