Boasting a distinctive style and imposing size, this commercial building was a familiar sight on Evansville’s near north side for decades.
Erected in 1920, the brick structure was originally home to the O. K. Bakery, which was one of thirty bakeries – nine of them on Main Street — listed in the city directory that year. The new business boasted many modern conveniences, including five skylights and large windows specially designed for “daylight” baking.
After the company relocated in the late 1940s, the Main Street building was occupied by Brinkley Post 9632 of the VFW and housed other businesses over the years. Nyla Cosmetics and the North Main Beauty Academy were among the building’s last occupants before it was razed in 1987.