University of Southern Indiana President Dr. Linda L. M. Bennett, graduating members of the Class of 2018, Honorary Degree recipients Dan M. and Janet L. Fuquay and Chris D. Melton, Commencement speakers and guests.
WHAT: USI Spring 2018 Commencement Ceremonies
- 6:30 p.m. Friday, April 27 – Graduate Ceremony
- 9 a.m. Saturday, April 28 – Romain College of Business
- Noon Saturday, April 28 – College of Liberal Arts
- 3 p.m. Saturday April 28 – Pott College of Science, Engineering, and Education
- 6 p.m. Saturday April 28 – College of Nursing and Health Professions
*Doors open one hour prior to each ceremony
WHERE: All ceremonies will be held in the Physical Activities Center (PAC). Graduates will report and line up in the Recreation, Fitness, and Wellness Center (RFW). A map of campus that includes the PAC and the RFW can be found at USI.edu/map.
STUDENT AVAILABILITY: Students will be available for interview inside the RFW while staging for the Commencement procession. Due to the unique nature of the procession, students will not be allowed to leave their place in line once the procession begins, and only designated University staff will be allowed to follow the procession to the PAC. Media members who wish to speak with students are welcome to do so as long as students remain in their place in line. Processions will begin 20 minutes prior to the start of each ceremony.
RECEPTION: Students will meet their families at a reception following each ceremony in University Center East, sponsored by the USI Alumni Association. Media members are encouraged to attend receptions for interviews with graduates and footage of families.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- A total of 1,276 graduates will participate in commencement exercises, out of a total of 1,618 eligible to participate. A total of 1,665 credentials will be awarded, including doctoral, master’s, baccalaureate and associate degrees as well as post-masters certificates.
- 337 students will graduate with academic honors. 29 will graduate summa cum laude (4.0 grade point average), 132 magna cum laude (3.8 – 3.999 grade point average) and 157 cum laude (3.6 – 3.799 grade point average). 53 students will be graduating as University Honors Scholars after successfully completing the University Honors Program.
- All graduates will become members of the USI Alumni Association, which will grow to more than 42,000 members upon the addition of the Class of 2018.
- Graduate Ceremony – Dr. Linda L. M. Bennett, USI president
- Romain College of Business – Marshall L. Byers ’94 M’19, Private Client Advisor Vice President – Investments, J.P. Morgan Chase
- College of Liberal Arts – Patricia S. Avery ’04, Financial Empowerment Program Specialist, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Pott College – Dr. Kirk A. Page ’98, Dean of Academic Affairs, Connect University, Myanmar
- College of Nursing and Health Professions – Kimberly J. Harper ’87 ’13, Chief Executive Officer, Indiana Center for Nursing
HONORARY DEGREE: At the Graduate Ceremony, Doctor of Laws degrees will be presented to Dan M. and Janet E. Fuquay for their involvement with the University and commitment to its mission and vision through endowed scholarships, leadership and planned gifts, and to Chris D. Melton ’72, president of Field & Main Bank, whose legacy of commitment as a leader and advocate for the University spans five decades.