WHO: University of Southern Indiana President Dr. Linda L.M. Bennett, graduating members of the Class of 2017, Commencement speakers and guests
WHAT: USI Fall 2017 Commencement Ceremonies
- 10 a.m. Saturday, December 9: College of Liberal Arts and Romain College of Business
- 1 p.m. Saturday, December 9: Pott College of Science, Engineering, and Education and College of Nursing and Health Professions
*Doors open one hour prior to each ceremony
WHERE: Physical Activities Center. A map of campus that includes University Center and all parking lots can be found at USI.edu/map.
ROAD CLOSURE: Bennett Lane will be closed to car traffic from 5 p.m. Friday, December 8 through 4 p.m. Saturday, December 9. Those wishing to drop off passengers in front of the PAC for the Commencement Ceremonies may do so from Lot C at the crosswalk in front of the PAC.
STUDENT AVAILABILITY: Students will be available for interview on the second floor of the PAC while staging for the Commencement procession. Media members who wish to speak with students are welcome to do so as long as they do not remove the student from his or her place in line and do not disrupt the processional. Processions will begin 15 minutes prior to the start of each ceremony. Please be aware that, due to ongoing construction as part of the PAC renovation, space within the staging area will be extremely limited and may not be conducive to video or photography.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- A total of 406 graduates will participate in the two ceremonies out of a total of 580 possible. 199 graduates will participate in the 10 a.m. ceremony and 207 graduates will participate in the 1 p.m. ceremony
- 114 students will graduate with academic honors: 5 summa cum laude, 49 magna cum laude and 60 cum laude. Nine students successfully completed the University Honors Program and are recognized as University Honors Scholars.
COMMENCEMENT AND REFLECTION SPEAKERS:
- College of Liberal Arts and Romain College of Business:
- Commencement Speaker: Dr. Stephen C. Zehr, professor of Sociology and 2017 Distinguished Professor recipient
- Reflection: Jason R. Holder ’17 summa cum laude
- Pott College of Science, Engineering, and Education; and College of Nursing and Health Professions:
- Commencement Speaker: Robert Millard-Mendez, professor of Art and H. Lee Cooper award recipient
- Reflection: Christie Jeanne Caballero ’17 cum laude
STREAMING VIDEO: Overflow space will be provided in University Center East 2217-2218, and a livestream of both ceremonies can be found on the USI website at USI.edu/it/commencement.