YESTERYEAR: Helfrich Park by Pat Sides
At the urging of the West Side Nut Club, the city purchased a large tract of land for recreational purposes from Michael Helfrich, civic leader and businessman. The park, formally opened in 1924, was designed by Tom Bendelow, a nationally renowned golf course architect. To promote public use, it featured numerous tennis courts, football and baseball fields, as well as an 18-hole golf course; a swimming pool and shelter house were added later. These young athletes gathered at Helfrich Park’s baseball diamond in April 1952 to begin practice for the new season. The street in the background is St. Joseph Avenue, just north of West Maryland Street.