For over a century, the widened blocks on Fourth Street between Chestnut and Locust were home to Evansville’s first municipal market. It was established in 1848, a few months after Evansville officially became a city, and was second only to Main Street in commercial traffic. Chiefly farm products were sold in the early years of the market, and during cold months, farmers butchered and sold fresh meat. After the Civil War, the market expanded rapidly, with dozens of saloons, grocery stores, bakeries, and other enterprises in operation, as well as an occasional carnival adding to the festive atmosphere. The market closed in 1966, when business activity was transferred to the municipal market on Pennsylvania Street at First Avenue.