ONEP Banner
K&C
Victory Theatre
Ford Center
Ellis 3-14
Home Yesteryear

Yesteryear

SPONSORED BY KRUCKEMEYER & COHN. YOUR LIFETIME JEWELER. CALL BRENT BEAMAN @ 812-476-5122.

YESTERYEAR: Columbia School BY Pat Sides

  Built in 1874-1875, Columbia School stood on the north side of Columbia Street near First Avenue for over a century. It was one of the...

Yesteryear: Early Postal Service by Pat Sides

A postman pauses for the camera on an unidentified street in Evansville. Judging by the style of his uniform, as well as the unpaved...

Kratz Calliope Factory By Pat Sides

Evansville’s position on the banks of the Ohio River helped to transform a small river town into a major manufacturing city by the end...

United Hebrew Institute by Pat Sides

In the early twentieth century, the Evansville city directory listed three Jewish congregations. One was the Adath Israel congregation, which had built a new...

YESTERYEAR: Holy Trinity Church

Yesteryear by Pat Sides This view of downtown Evansville, looking towards the intersection of Vine and Third streets, is one of the earliest known images...

1937 Flood by Pat Sides

January 1937 The drought and record heat in the summer of 1936 claimed thousands of lives across the nation, but the fall and early winter...

Hodgini School of Dance

The photo of these budding ballerinas was probably taken soon after the Hodgini School of Dance opened in 1953 in the first block of...

Haynie’s Corner Fire by Pat Sides

  A crowd gathered in front of the remains of a devastating fire at Haynie’s Corner, which broke out early in the morning of March...

YESTERYEAR: Early Telephone System by Pat Sides

In 1878, the first two telephones appeared in Evansville. One was located at the Western Union Telegraph office, and the other at the St....

“Toy Town” at Sears By Pat Sides

“Toy Town” was always a hectic place during the Christmas shopping season at the Sears store in downtown Evansville. In this late 1950s image,...