White Swan Laundry
In December 1937, White Swan Laundry hired Santa to tout its delivery service as “a Christmas gift for her.” At four cents per pound of laundry, the weekly service was a time-saving bargain for busy housewives throughout the year. The company, located at NW Second and Ingle streets, was founded in 1893, one of the first professional steam laundries to open in Evansville. White Swan soon boasted over 100 employees and 17 motor routes, eventually expanding its services to customers in Henderson, Kentucky. The laundry was sold in 1980, and the building was razed in 1996. At the bottom of the picture, the shadow of photographer Edgar W. Newman can be seen; his series of Santa shots, taken at different venues in the city, appeared in the Evansville Press that December.